I am of Nigerian descent but I grew up in the care system and my foster mother is from Jamaica and both these countries have a lot in common. They are both were under rulership from the Brits in the British Empire and their resources and people exploited and after years of abuse they are now apparently both Independent Countries that "rule their own people and land" but they are both in the "Common Wealth" which is another version of the British Empire let me explain further.
Let us start of with the term Independent:
According the the Oxford English Dictionary online this what is wrote
- 1 free from outside control; not subject to another's authority:an independent nuclear deterrentthe study is totally independent of central government
- (of a country) self-governing:India became independent in 1947
- not belonging to or supported by a political party:the independent candidate
- (of broadcasting, a school, etc.) not supported by public funds.
- (Independent)historical Congregational.
- 2 not depending on another for livelihood or subsistence:I wanted to remain independent in old age
- (of income or resources) making it unnecessary to earn one's living:a woman of independent means
- 3 capable of thinking or acting for oneself:advice for independent travellers
- not influenced by others ; impartial:a thorough and independent investigation of the case
- 4 not connected with another or with each other; separate:treating each factory as an independent unit of productionthe legislature and the judicature are independent of one another
- not depending on something else for strength or effectiveness; free-standing:an independent electric shower
- Mathematics(of one of a set of axioms, equations, or quantities) incapable of being expressed in terms of, or derived or deduced from, the others.
- an independent person or body.
- an independent political candidate.
- (Independent)historical a Congregationalist.
Let me go deeper lets go the etymology which is the root of the word:
1610s, from in- (1) "not, opposite of" + dependent. Fr. independant is attested from c.1600; It. independente from 1590s. Noun meaning "person not acting as part of a political party" is from 1808. Related: Independently.
So let us set this straight if the root of the word independent is not opposite of the word dependent but is the opposite of the word dependant and even as I typed it the spelling came up wrong but for further evidence here is the etymology
also dependent, late 14c.; of persons, from 1580s, from Fr. dépendant (adj. and noun), properly prp. of dépendre "to hang down," also "to depend," from L.dependentem (see depend). As a noun, from early 15c., originally "action growing out of another action." As with its relative dependence, the Latin-influenced variant (in this case dependent) co-existed through 18c., but with this word the French spelling has proven more durable in English, possibly because it has been found convenient to keep both, one (dependant) for the noun, the other (dependent) for the adjective
Notice the play on words of independent, dependant, dependent, independence, dependence.
Now we got that out the way lets look at the "British Empire" watch the movie "The British Empire in Colour"
Now let us look at the CommonWealth according to the CBBC website yes CBBC (Children British Broadcasting Channel) they break it down for kids to over-stand so that is why I used them for my source of information
Today the Commonwealth is a family of 53 nations in every continent.In the past many of these nations were part of the British Empire.They have now chosen to join the modern Commonwealth.The Commonwealth includes some of the richest and poorest, largest and smallest nations in the world.
What does it do?
These include holding fair and free elections and respecting human rights.
In the past, some countries have been suspended from the Councils of the Commonwealth because they did not follow this agreement.
Zimbabwe was suspended for a year in 2002 because top politicians said president Robert Mugabe's supporters used violence to help him win an election.
A row at the 2003 summit in Nigeria led to Mr Mugabe withdrawing his country.
It is worth mentioning that Mr Mugabe wants Zimbabwe to really be independent and not depend on the Common Wealth exploiting his people and resources hence all the slandering of his image.
I know you have spent a great deal of time reading this so I will end this by saying so are the countries really independent or do they dependent on the common wealth for the values and system and exploiting of the land and people on a sly.
Here is the existing List of Commonwealth Countries.
- Antigua and Barbuda
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Island
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Kingdom
In : General
Tags: "independence" "jamaica" "nigeria" ghana" "the british empire" "the commonwealth"